Friday, February 15, 2008

Yesterday...

So it was Valentine's Day (vd) yesterday and of course, we didn't have any special plans. For us, everyday can be vd 'coz we have no kids. So going out to a nice dinner and buying each other (or just buying ME) something isn't too out of the ordinary :) Ok, everyday is valentine's for ME lol!

It was a pretty ordinary day to start with. The husband went to Shultzy's and I stayed in with plans to go to Costco. Two hours after he left, I was back in bed watching my rented Cantonese Hong Kong series lol! It's terrible that I've been trying to get myself to Costco to get some necessities for the past few days and I have yet to get my butt over there. ...by the time I got myself out of the house, it was past noon and realized the husband hadn't locked the door when he left (four hours earlier) and didn't even bring his keys with him! I sent him a text message asking if he'd realized it. His answer, "no I didn't lock it and no, I don't have my keys - but I did take out the recycling so I'm not a total loser - what do you have in mind for lunch?" After a couple of texts to and fro, instead of driving to the warehouse store, I was speeding my way to the University district to pick my man up wondering what I'd like for lunch.

We ended up at our friend Taichi's restaurant, Chiso, in Fremont. We haven't seen our friend Yoshi (who works there) since we moved here and we'd been meaning to do so. It was sooo nice to see him! He even sent over a nice big plate of sashimi - sah-sheeeeee-meeeee mmmmm! Boy we had quite the feast! I had to doggy bag my chirashi lunch to go (which, I am actually having as my breakfast right now as I type; yes, cold and sooooo YUMMY!). Of course after the heavy meal, the last thing on our minds was going to Costco... so we came home, hung out a little and yup, nap time!! Talk about being little piggies enjoying the day eh?! No, no Valentine's Day hot and sweaty sex... not with a stomach full of raw fish, rice and fried oysters in our stomachs lol! I know I know... tmi... totally too much information :D

I was awoken by a call from my girlfriend in distressed (again) and needed me to play her Dr Phil. She's been down for a good 24 hours now. The guy she'd been dating has totally dissed her and hasn't called since Sunday... not even a text message on vd! Yes, I did tell her to kick him to the curb (more than once) but women love to super analyze everything the man has said to them and/or done to/with them... so I was on the phone for awhile. I now know why Dr Phil is balding - probably frustrated enough to tear his own hair out lol! But I like my girlfriend and she hasn't had the best of luck the last few years with the men she's met... she's in her early 30s, speaks English, Mandarin, Bahasa Indonesia, Japanese and French (all fluently), a Wellesley alumni... beautiful... I would totally date her if I were a confident and single man - right!? Too bad for her she's met another nice but not nice enough guy... and of course living in L.A doesn't help her situation either... I had to have another phone conversation with her this morning 10 mins before 7am :D The poor girl... I'm so glad I'm old and married lol!

...but back to us... dinner time rolled around for us and neither of us were hungry... so we walked down to the local AMC and went to see 'Juno'. I liked the movie and I think the dialogue was quite clever! Ellen Page is such a talented actress! Unfortunately, I honestly doubt teenagers who are pregnant at sixteen are really that clever (like she is in the movie) or can hold mature and funny conversations like she did. I just don't believe it :) ...and the sweet sweet father (who played head of an Aryan nation gang in the HBO series, 'Oz' LOL)... If I went home pregnant before I was married - even at age 38 - my dad would so beat me to death LOL!

...so where did we end up having dinner past 10pm in Seattle? We thought we were going to the most unromantic place in Seattle but it turned out, not only were we greeted with an eager and cheerful "happy valentine's day!!" upon walking into Hing Loon, tasty heart-shaped chocolates accompanied our fortune cookies and sesame ball at the end of the dinner! Not bad for a hole in the wall restaurant in the International District at all! So we dodged the line, the waiting and had very good Chinese food with good service (I kid you not!). How's that for an unplanned valentine's day celebration :)

2 comments:

Anjuli said...

your valentine's day sounded great- as for ours- we were at Costco buying stuff and Daniel bought me a hotdog- you know their combo $1.50 for hotdog and soft drink-- that was our romantic Valentine's day lunch! :)

Karen said...

hahahah don't you just love those bloody hotdog combo thingies at costco lol. i love it that i can get ALL the chopped up onion i want 'coz whenever i'm eating hot dogs, sardines or smoked salmon at home i hate chopping them on my own :D