Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Handouts

Last night, we went to no-frills Pho Hoa in the International District for dinner. ...and as usual, the same old, dirty looking bearded disheveled white man was standing at the door - just like he has the last half a dozen times we've been there - asking for change. Sometimes I just want to scream at people like him,"go get a job!!". I hate the sight of these bums and hate it more when they beg and I have to encounter them!!

While we were having dinner - just as I was commenting to the king about this aforementioned man - not a minute went by and a 30'is white couple walked past us, out the door and gave this man some money (after he asked and followed them a few steps later) - I don't know how much they gave him but it doesn't even matter. If it's a quarter or a dollar, it's a quarter and dollar they could have saved for themselves. I just don't think people should encourage them by giving them anything! If you want to give them anything, give them food that you can buy on their behalf. Not money, cigarettes, and certainly not alcohol; and I don't have to mention anything illegal! ...upon receiving some money, the guy disappeared immediately. We finished up our food and managed to walk out before his return - the only good thing that happened to the couple giving him money - me avoiding the sight, sound and smell of the guy...

Why is there even a homeless problem or people begging in this country? I just don't get it! If you're mentally ill, your family and/or country needs to take care of you... if you're a veteran, there are places and people to help you... if you're homeless, I know there are places in the city that helps the homesless! These people bug and scare me!

I love living downtown but the sight of them everywhere I walk just annoys the heck out of me. They make the International District un-explorable! They treat the city like their own backyard and I don't know why the local government can't do a 'clean-up'!?! I know it's not as simple as I think it is but you've gotta' start somewhere because when you see teenagers begging for change in the university district, you know this country is heading somewhere and it isn't anywhere good!

No comments: