Friday, February 22, 2008

A Close To CNY Celebrations

Yesterday was the last day of our lunar new year celebrations and also our first official get-together for the Singaporeans in Seattle group that I started a few weeks ago.










Thirteen people; eight of them Singaporeans (some with their partners) turned up at our home with food and/or drinks and made the mee siam/laksa get-together quite the party! I think I can safely say it was a success. There was plenty of food and lots of laughter and people have already asked me when our next meet up would be. Since our travel plans are not concrete yet, I'll just have to wait a little before I make the decision on dates... but I think there should be on in March.

I was a little disappointed (ok, I was annoyed) that someone who had rsvp'd 'yes' for two spots didn't turn up despite my emails a few days before the event to remind anyone who might have to change their minds due to work/family commitments. I have had to turn people away from this get-together since our home here is umm, 'cozy'; even for the thirteen people who had made it. For the second time, the same person who also failed to turn up to the first Malaysian-Singaporean party held at Connie and Daniel's was nowhere to be seen. Hmmm... that's two strikes... no word via email from him nor his partner today... bloody irritating!



















Still, the party went on and we knew not to wait once people started arriving with food and drinks. We had enough food to feed an army. Yes, truly! Of course I had made enough food for at least 30 people... but it's not everyday one would make mee siam and/or laksa and it's one of those dishes that you just can't make a small batch! I think people had a favorite between the two local dishes so I can't complain. On top of that, we had roast duck, bbq pork and roast pork, Asian style chicken pies, chicken curry and grilled chicken wings! Fortunately, Dorothy who has three growing kids at home was willing to bring some food home. The rest, well, I got up this morning and had mee siam for breakfast and the rest is in the freezer :) The husband says now when he asks me what I want for breakfast and I say 'mee siam', he'll have a way out... of course, knowing me, with mee siam in the freezer, I'll ask for nasi lemak LOL!

No comments: