Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gassin' It Up

My gawd, I never thought I, daughter of my father... originally from Singapore, would ever complain about gas prices... just like a taxi driver back home would the moment you get onto the cab. When I was a kid, I thought they were just soliciting for a tip.

Today, I spent 10 mins in line at the gas station by our house (after dissin' the one at Sam's when I saw that the line was at least an hour's wait long). No way jose. I may not be doing much with my time but I know saving $3 isn't gonna' make a difference to my life. I have more productive and important things to do with my precious time... like laundry waiting for me at home plus I need to get my nails done before we leave for Seattle tomorrow lol.

So there I was bitching to myself about the line at the gas station at Forest Hill Irene and Poplar. Wow, $2.79 per gallon for regular. What a pain! Insanity! Can't imagine it was a mere $1.01/gallon when we first arrived in Memphis four years ago. Ten minutes in line and I go through the routine. I was about to start pumpin' the gas when I noticed. Wait, it's not $2.79/gallon. It's $3.29!! Shit, fine... whatever! What was I supposed to do? Leave and drive around aimlessly looking for cheaper gas and in the meantime, burn more petrol? So I pumped up the rest of my half full tank and came home.

Maybe there is logic to why Singaporean taxi drivers complain about the rising gas prices constantly. I suspect American taxi drivers are doing the same thing right now. If only they knew how much Singaporeans are paying for gas per gallon (fyi, approximately $8.76/gallon(dollar for dollar) or if converted, US$5.23/gallon). You Americans would keep your bloody mouth shut and deal with it!