Monday, September 12, 2005

Sucker!!!

I have a soft heart... sometimes.

Ok, so I saw the hurt in my mil's face on Sunday afternoon when we refused to go into her house when we surprised her at her backdoor with her mail. Bruce handed her all two days worth of mail and the newspaper, exchanged some pleasantries - and some un- pleasantries like telling her that her house smelt 'doggy' LOL - and left. I could tell she's lonely... I wonder where is her god-sent daughter... and terribly hungry for some real food other than her sorry ass homemade sandwiches . As a greedy person, I understand that part at least. I don't think my mil is a greedy person. Bruce might disagree. But she does have an odd preference in food. Like I can't understand how someone who enjoys really good Chinese food from Asian Palace (and knows they serve the best duck in town) can actually enjoy anything from PF Chang's; or how someone who claims to love spicy food can't eat char siew bun 'coz it's spicy (?!); or how someone who was brought up in a Jewish household loves pork ribs lol. Okay, that last one is understandable... but still...

She mentioned something about PF Chang's yesterday; she asked if we're going that way. Geez, we make it a point not to go that way - like she doesn't know lol. So I thought I'd make her day by bringing her a whole roast duck and a large order of pork fried rice - her favourite kind of fried rice since I've stopped making her crab fried rice (hey, I've stopped making that dish altogether so it's not that I'm trying to be extra mean to her).

I think the mil had an orgasmic moment when I held up the bag of Chinese take out and said 'I brought duck!'. Her eyes got really humongous (bigger than normal). Her eyeballs shot out (like they would in cartoons). Her eyebrows shot above her very gray hair. Her mouth turned into jello like she was gonna' swallow my hand that held the bag. I don't remember how the bag got onto the basket of her walker. All I know is Lucy also looked thrilled with the arrival of some real food. My mil didn't invite me in (hey, I already had an excuse up my sleeve if she did :D) and I got on my merry way home.

Good deed done for the day... for my mil and for my husband. Both of them don't have to speak to or see each other lol.

No comments: