Thursday, March 01, 2007

I Don't Care Why You're Crying...

No, I'm not the most sympathetic person - komt will tell you in a minute. That, however, does not make me a bad friend, usually. Ok, it does for all the people I've written about in here lol!

Yesterday, at jazzercise, I was having a pretty light conversation with R. Since I haven't been attending any jazzercise classes in months, it was nice to catch up a little before the class started. Before I knew what was going on, R ran into the arms of this older lady (yes, in the midst of our conversation about my trip to China) and sobbed loudly and non-stop. I, of course, slowly faded into the background trying to not look too embarassed or curious. How could anyone be so upbeat one minute and then be crying so quickly seconds later? It turns out that R's mom had passed away - she managed to tell me with a smile after she regained her composure... and in her words, she's not doing well. I related my condolences and went on with my life and conversation with someone else. Hey, R is only an acquaintance and I am not shy about saying I don't care. I don't know her nor her mother and yes, I'm sure she's sad, but it's not my job to be there for her...

Then today, after BLT class (bacon-lettuce-&-tomato I wish(!) - it's buns-legs-&-thighs - and no, if you're wondering, I'm still not losing weight nor am I enjoying it), I saw the regular group of pretty mothers of elementary school aged kids huddled outside class obviously consoling one of the pack. N, the Russian girl and I like to call them the 'pretty mothers' 'coz they're a bunch attractive, slim and ALWAYS talking women. Oh they love hearing themselves talk about their wonderful kids and successful husbands during classes. They complain non-stop even though they're holding their 3 pound weights and admit aloud that they can probably do the routine all day... my question is, how can you talk in a class when you're supposed to be exerting yourselves on the stantionary bike, concentrating and listen to the instructor over loud music all at the same time!? ...anyway, I realized quickly that one of them was crying. Of course, I made my quick exit towards the lounge area and hung around to chat with other folks while I munched on my daily apple. By the way, I was told by an Indian friend today that a person who does not share her food will not be able to digest her food well. I guess she was trying to tell me to bring more apples tomorrow or else hahaha!

R - our well-liked instructor came over after awhile and filled me in on the story of the crying white girl. Apparently, he'd done a body composition test on her earlier that morning and it turns out that her bmi (body mass index) is as high as her 65 year old mother's. I looked puzzled. 'SO?!'. He rolled his eyes. 'She can't get over it...'. You know, people need to pick their own battles... and if this is the bloody sorry ass battle this lady picks to fight today, she's in for some serious trauma later lol. R explained to me that with her working out a lot daily and only eating one meal a day just isn't helping her... DUH! You don't have to be Einstein to know that! I wish I had that kind of problem lol!

The gym is not a place to cry or give your feelings away, I feel. What a downer! It's a place where people go to feel good (whether it's about themselves or someone else)... crying just doesn't fit into the game plan. Go home and sob in the privacy of your own space... outsiders really don't care. Ok, outsiders who are Singaporeans (might like to know) but really don't care. :) Trust me.

No comments: