Wednesday, March 14, 2007

About Last Night...

It's past noon, the curtains in our room are still fully drawn. We haven't been out of the hotel (which is unlike us), not even to Matsuya to have breakfast. The husband just dozed off in the middle of his sentence while discussing lunch with me :) Poor guy must be exhausted and maybe even still drunk. I'm not all that genki either but I'll survive. Might just need another mini nap...

Last night was yet another crazy night. Correction, it was a typical night for us in Tokyo... we hung out with Otsu-san, Hamada-san and Kohno-san, all once komt's colleagues way before his teaching days. Among others, they were his constant source of Japanese culture... blind dates and often, teachers of crazy ridiculous Japanese phrases like 'watashi-no kyonyu-wa subarashi desu neh?' (my big boobies are excellent aren't they). That, incidentally, not surprising, was the first Japanese phrase I learnt from him when I met my husband lol. How impressive lol! I have since adopted Bruce's Japanese friends as my own and enjoy returning to their country to for endless crazy evenings, awesome meals, hilarious times trying to decipher what any of us are trying to say to each other with the (sometimes) communication breakdown between languages and culture. Whatever we do, we always have a really really nice time with together.

Our dinner and drinking session started on the forty-ninth storey of the Nomura Building in Nishi Shinjuku. Impressive view of course; though none of us saw much of it since we were seated away from any window; but Kohno-san's intention was good. Hibiki, as usual, never fails us. We;ve been to the one at shiodome, shinjuku and now this one at nishi-shinjuku. Food at this izakaya is always good, service prompt and the highlight for me was the part where they made tofu, yes, make - not cook, though they had to do that too, and then serving it immediately with the option of salt or soy sauce. Way cool and ultra delicious! Chicken nanban, sashimi, sushi, boiled vegetables with nama imo, tofu... ok I can't remember much more other than my yummy suehiro (sake) :)

Kohno-san, Hamada-san and Otsu-san were as usual, nice as can be. They talked sometimes about old colleagues while I listened to the bizarre personalities involved in the office. It's amazing how many oddities can happen in the corporate world where people get paid to do nothing hahaha. I'm sure it's not just a Microsoft thing - right? If that's the case, I should get a job - I'm great at doing nothing and at the same time look really busy. Actually, I think I might have already perfected that when working for my father :)

Three and a half hours of non-stop eating, too much beer, wine, sake and shochu later, we all sort of waltzed involuntarily out of the restaurant after two warnings from the staff that they were closed. Btw, this is the first time I have ever seen the husband and Kohno-san drunk lol! Quite a hilarious sight to be honest! The next 30 mins or so comes to us in fractions. Neither the husband nor I can seem to piece them together. Yes, temporary amnesia (unfortunately, not so temporary for me sometimes lol). No, neither of us can remember how we got from standing outside Hibiki to standing in the streets of Kabuki-cho - an area where even some Japanese fear entering lol. We don't remember if we took a cab or walked to the train station. We remember however, bidding our friends goodbye (maybe) at the train station... we remember being cold and walking towards our regular karaoke joint... we also remember not staying for karaoke because of the long wait after I looked at the list of parties- of-two ahead of us. We remember braving the cold and yup, decided on more drinks at our new found favorite bar, Deathmatch, for a couple more drinks each.

Between Deathmatch, acting crazy on the streets, buying KFC so I could go use the toilet (no we never got around to eating my wings and the husband's chicken sandwich) we decided it was a GREAT idea to have some good food. Not KFC however... I said good! Before we knew it, we were making videos outside Samraat and eating Indian food at two o'clock in the morning. Yes, of course it's normal to eat Indian food at two o'clock on a Thursday morning. Why do you think they're opened till 5am everyday? We weren't evn the only people craving for some garlic naan and egg plant curry in the middle of Shinjuku. ...and we were certainly not the loudest either lol.

Of course, we're moving a lot slower today... past noon or not, it's going to be much slower today and thank goodness we haven't got plans to see anyone at all. Tomorrow might be a repeat with John but for today, we're gonna have to recover... s-l-o-w-l-y.