Sunday, August 21, 2005

Hurt, Offended and Just Plain Pissed Off

I've never been known to be an over-sensitive kind of person (quite the opposite, actually) and after talking about it to my laogong (Bruce), Gen, my buddy up in NYC and mom, I've been told it's not a matter of sensitivity. So here is the long story cut short.

Yesterday, we babysat Bruce's younger niece, Mackenzie. The little brat that we're horrified about 'coz she's not only a climber, a jumber and a non-speaker at past 2 years old, she doesn't seem to have a liking for her uncle Bruce. So leaving us no choice but to say 'yes we'd babysit' since after two messages with no return call, my sister in law, Valerie, got my mil to call. Anywayz, Bruce's sister, drops her daughter off at about 11:30am and the first thing the little thing does upon coming in and seeing Bruce is turns away and tries to flee. LOL. Yes, literally. She walked out of the house back into the garage towards her mother's car. Of course she was coerced back and her very nice and extremely patient uncle sat her on his lap and showed her pictures of puppies on the computer. Her mom left, she was fine and the rest of the day with her was not even as bad as we'd imagined. Some parts were even comical :D Uncle and niece played in the backyard under the sprinklers and sat on the deck to dry off, had chocolate biscuits and watched tv while I sat inside (in the cool) minding my own business :) I then decided to change Mackenzie into one of the outfits that I'd gotten for Emma, my niece back home... after all, I've seen Mackenzie in nothing but hand-me-downs from her big sister Marley. She looked great! Cute - for a change lol. More like a real 2 yr old little girl that comes from a decent family instead of a homeless looking kid with uncombed hair in her oversized, overworn and certainly overwashed outfits I always see her in.

After fried rice, cookies and cheese, we got her in bed and she drifted quickly to deep sleep. Her mom picked her up about 4:30pm in the midst of her nap and she was NOT the least bit amused when woken up to leave immediately. No thank-you-very-much from Valerie, no how-has-she-been, no has-she-been-bad, no what-did-guys-do, has-she- been-fed... instead, went on and on about how bad the rehab facilities that my mil had been transferred to was. Of course, she got neither sympathy nor positive input from Bruce nor I. My mil does not have much of a choice at this point. She can't go home to no 24 hr help! Simple as that. In the meantime, my insane sil has pulled her daughter out of the front door with her kicking and screaming and mother yelling at child at the top of the steps in front of the house. I was horrified! Who in the world was this woman here who constantly claims how much she loves her kids and how good a mother she is blah blah blah pulling her daughter from her little wrist out of the house? I hurriedly picked Mackenzie up and helped her into the car. Valerie shot an 'I'm so glad you're SO happy to see mommy' towards the screaming kid. I walked back to the house thinking 'shit, I wouldn't want to go home too after a day of full attention and pamper!'

She (Val) knew she was gonna see us again at the rehab... she knew we'd be there 'coz we had to deliver my mil's tv. Yet, when she walked into the room with her daughter, there was little Mackenzie, dressed back in her old dress. I screamed "WHAT THE PHUCK!!" inside my head. That very same moment when they walked in, Bruce and I said bye to my mil and left (in a huff, I guess). I didn't know Bruce had noticed but he did and was not amused either.

All in the span of 30 mins, my sil left our house, went to the grocery store, got more fast food for her mom and not forgetting, changing her precious little daughter out of her nice new outfit back to her old one so Bruce and I could see it.

So there. NEVER AGAIN! She's not getting any help from me... nor her brother again! Screw that shit! I was hurt for a little and pretty damned offended for awhile. Now, I'm just plained seething and foaming at the mouth LOL. No, really, I'm pissed off!!! Now I understand the Cantonese saying ji gei gu ji gei. NO SHIT!