Monday, August 28, 2006

Annoying S.O.Bs

Recently, I have heard from quite a few of my Singapore friends who now live in America, that mere acquaintances are calling, asking for favors to buy them stuff here to be sent back home. While I do this often for my family, mostly by choice, they are my family! They can ask anything of me. Even ridiculous favors :)

The last couple of days, this former classmate of mine from Singapore has been leaving messages for me on msn messaging like 'when you're online, let me know' or 'are you there? you must be very busy'. Since I am perpetually set to 'away' status namely trying to stay away from people I don't care about, I have been ignoring her.

Well, this morning, I woke up to another one of these messages, 'let me know when you come online'. I messaged her and said 'hi, I'm here'. Stupid me. She started with a 'wow you've been very busy!'. I managed a slow 'yeah'. She cut any other small talk and said 'hey, I need a favor'. Surprise surprise. She told me she needs to buy crap for her nail business and this store has stopped shipping internationally. That she needs to mail the stuff to my home address and then I can mail them via usps to her. I thought about it and instead of saying 'no', I asked her what she was getting. No answer. Instead, she asked me if I will be seeing my family again. Meaning... if I am, I can pass the stuff to my family and my family can be her delivery people. HELL NO!!! What is she like?! She also did not mention about how she'd pay me for doing her this favor or even for the postage. I told her to let me know BEFORE she orders anything and since she doesn't have my mailing address, I think I'm safe for a bit. There is no way I'm doing this craptactular favor for her. She's not even a friend for crying out loud! Some people sure know how to annoy the hell out of me! Of course, right after asking for the favor, she types a quick 'gotta' go! I need to take my son to classes'. It's freakin' 8pm there! Unless her son is in some beer chugging class, I can't imagine what a 5 yr old boy would be doing out at this hour.

Another 'friend' of mine who went to high school with me in Canada, also a Singaporean, got my email from gawd knows who and emailed me... realize this: we had not contacted each other since 1987! She wrote me an email last year right before the new year and asked me to purchase some music for her on itunes 'coz she can't seem to do so from work. She also explicitly told me to hurry as it was URGENT! I deleted that email immediately and put her on my 'who-list'. What is a who-list? Well, if I put my friend, say... Jane on my who list... if anyone ever brings up Jane's name again in front of me, that will go, "Jane WHO?!" :D

What are these people like!? Surely it is not a Singaporean trait? Granted we're a selfish group of people, always thinking solely of ourselves; so if we're nice to you... BE CAREFUL lol! But I'm sure with some kind of sensitivity chip built in all of us, we can't all be so idiotic?!

Well these two people mentioned can go kiss my big round behind 'coz I'm not playing personal shopper nor mailman to either. Irritating specimen!!!

No comments: