Saturday, February 03, 2007

Shanghai Elevator Experiance

While the family and I are still enjoying our time here in this Chinese city, I must say, last night's experiance in the elevator with my friend's family (including two little ones and one inside of his mommy's tummy), me and my family and ninety seven other asshole mainlanders; was less then impressive. ...can you still tell my attitude towards these people here hasn't much moved towards love (?) lol. Quite the opposite actually.

Anywayz, we had a nice meal at a nice Cantonese-Thai restaurant - hey, I don't make these odd ethnic restaurants up, I swear. The good food, the Filipina-walking-band that met us at the door and then returned into our private dining room and sang us 'Rhineseone Cowboy' didn't really make our dining experiance any less normal...; delicious and hilarious? Yes - especially when they tried to drag me (not the two kids but ME - why m?!) to dance with them - NO I am NOT bloody Filipina for the final time godammit!!! - delicious and weird? Definitely! Normal, definitely not. Then again, when it an outing with any of my friends 'normal' :D After dinner, we decided to take a nice walk by the river (Huang Jiang) to check out the night view of the Bund / outer shores. I've seen it a couple of times during the day but nothing better then a postcard pic of the same thing with neon lights.

The elevator came and seeing that about 30 young mainlanders joined us waiting for the elevator very quickly, I was like 'let's take the elevator up and then down 'coz that way we'd ensure ourselves space'. Good idea? Maybe... P is pretty pregnant, J, the husband had the 20 month old in his arms, while M stayed close to his mommy. The rest of us spread ourselves evenly within the small space and fitted pretty nicely with another couple who had the same idea as us. The lift went up to the top floor and descended a couple of floors. 30 odd, and I exaggerate not charged(!!!) towards us like a mass of crazy bulls were chasing then behind. They started piling in, pushing and pushing us more into the back wall of the elevator. J, my buddy's husband instictly raised his voice and bellowed in Mandarin very angrily, 'there is a pregnant woman in here! Stop pushing!'. Obviously it was ignored 'coz they kept pushing us into the back. I was, by this time, swearing (again) at the mainlanders in my head - quite an easy task when you're in this country for anything more than a minute. They pushed and giggled and laughed and pushed some more. The alarm came on. My mom burst out an 'it's overweight! go out!'. J again continued, 'go out, there is pregnant woman in here and this door will not close'... which it did not. The alarm went on, they kept pushing and murmuring but no one walked out. We were sandwich far too deep to escape and they continued to ignore anything anyone was saying. The kids were silent and I could sense everyone else's blood (in our group) rising. We must have stood there while the alarm continued, the door opening and closing a gazillion times and J yelling at the top of his voice to go out or let us out. Nothing. These (mainly) men not only kept pushing and refused to leave (not a single one), they told their friends outside to stop pressing on the button - like we needed help in any more moronic act. Eventually, after what seemed like 10 minutes, one idiot walked out reluctantly. Though the alarm continued sounding, those damn stubborn doors finally slid closed and we eventually got to the lobby (with the alarm still going off). Damn mainlanders - they don't even deserve a capital 'm'!!

What can I say... if this continues, this is going to be a pretty long stay... I'm sure before I leave this country, I'll have more to say :)

No comments: