Thursday, January 25, 2007

Hello? CLICK!

I just did something very un-nice and it's even more horrible because I think it's TOTALLY hilarious! Yes, I'm a bad person and I will go to hell. But seeing that heaven doesn't exist (c'mon, you guys gotta' know it doesn't!!) and neither does hell; I will just like most people wilt under ground and get nibbled to my second death by parasites (yuk!!) or buuuurrrrrn! Either way, I don't care.

As you already know, or maybe not, there is a silent feud going on between our family (meaning my husband and I obviously) and my sil and at times, my mil (though it's easier to be more forgiving towards an old lady who bore my wonderful husband lol). Since she (the sil) has not thanked us for anything her brother's done for her, she's in my who(?)-list. Yes, you know the drill... sil - WHO?

So I've been warned not to pick up calls this week. Namely because this weekend is my mil's birthday and the sil will promptly call to gather for a meal. To look for a pay-master - my own mother predicts. My husband had invited his mom out for dinner on her birthday last week and was then advised by the old lady that she'd already made plans with her daughter. Fine and dandy... still, the husband knows his sister well enough and predicted she would call. Well, call she did this late afternoon (two days before the mil's birthday) and low and behold, I forgot my only task (or non-task) and picked up the bloody ringing phone. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT! Yes, it was the sil... WHO?!

I picked up the phone with my usual sweet melodic (stop laughing!) 'hello?' Silence on the other end. I remained silent. At least five seconds, I should add. That's awhile. I frowned. I managed another 'hello?' this time a little softer and more curious... and then the other side said 'KAREN?' in a thunderous accented (the southern accent obviously) voice that was only too familiar and traumatising. CLICK! ...and I then started roaring uncontrollably with my demonic laughter. Yes, I'd hung up on the sil. I hung up immediately when I'd realized that I just made a big mistake by first - picking up the phone and secondly - holding out long enough for her to eventually hear me. SHIT! But yes, it was damn funny!

I called the husband immediately. Laughing hysterically, saying 'I just did something bad!'. I could sense the grin on his face... 'my sister called and you hung up the phone'. How does he always know what I'm up to without hearing it from me first? My laugh strengthened and tears started flowing down my small beady eyes. Hey, it was the most exciting thing that had happened to me all day :) You cannot fault me for having too much fun. Meanwhile, as I'm trying to explain what happened, I hear the signal for an incoming line. I could have only guessed it was the sil but this time, I wasn't that moronic to answer.

Yes, I'm an evil evil person and no, I do not feel bad for hanging up the phone on my sil. You don't try to make plans with us two days before your mom's birthday when you'd already planned it with her weeks before. She may assume we sit home and twiddle our thumbs waiting for her inspiring phone calls... she can assume we don't have a life. But this time, we're not caving. We'll take the mil out on a different day she is.

She eventually called the husband's cellphone (while we were still giggling and chatting while he drove home) and left a message. Of course there was no thanks mentioned in ehr message. Yes, she wanted to get together for their mom's birthday. Funny thing is, this Saturday is also her younger daughter's birthday. But they'd already celebrated it last weekend. Guess who wasn't invited to that party? ...nor were we thanked for her birthday present. Some people, I swear...

No comments: