Tuesday, February 20, 2007

CNY 2007

Another Chinese New Year (CNY) in Memphis. This year, we were invited by the husband's student, Brian Zhang, to go to the big celebration at the University of Memphis where we were surprised to see Brian perform in an ethnic Chinese dance. It certainly was entertaining. The teacher was taking pictures and videos like a proud parent. It was quite funny to see :) We also got to enjoy many cny meals with different groups of friends - which was a very nice thing. But I think I've just about had enough of Chinese food lol.

This year unlike the pasts many CNYs here, we're not having a big celebration at home. I'm tired of taking a week of my precious life, decorating, cooking and making sure everything is perfect for the party for a bunch of ungrateful asses. There is a core group of people who are our friends whom we see often. Special occasion or not, we meet and eat somewhere in town. But there is this other group of people - mostly the husband's friends (or so called 'friends') who are fun people that we have been inviting for the last few years. However, we're tired of being the invitors year after year. These people don't understand the meaning of either being friends or the meaning of reciprocacity (sp?). We see them once a year at our house... they rant and rave about my cooking and then kindly thank us when they leave. Then we don't hear or see them again until we invite them again for another cny party. No, it's not about repayment. We don't need anyone to buy us a meal and there is no ulterior motive in inviting anyone. But it's about being friends and how you treat your friends! When someone invites you to their party annually, don't you think you should at least make some effort to call to say 'hi' or just meet up for drinks?!? Something, anything... of course unless they don't like us... then why do they keep coming to our parties?!

So no cny party at hom this year. The core group of friends know we're not having it. But the husband and I have decided that we're not telling anyone else. Let them know they are on my who?-list. Much like the DJ and his drunk wife (the ones who came to our party, got wasted and acted like a fool then doesn't contact us till nine months later with a Christmas card asking us when they should take off their shoes and come for another cny party lol). Yes, at least they sent a card huh lol. But yes, they, like my sil are on the no-more-invite-list. I think I've already blogged about why my sil will no more be invited. She refused to remove her shoes at our house. Bitch! lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya' on the so called friends who come over to 'chew and screw', as I like to call it.

They ooooh and aaaaah about how good the food tastes and then won't help out with the cleaning. They just make sure they take off while they are pretending to want to help you clean up. Standing at the doorway saying, "sure you don't need help?" tells me you only want a free meal.

Maybe I am going about it all wrong, because I was brought up to help clean up when invited over to people's home for meals.

Right Edge said...

妳會煮飯?哎呀! :-)

孔文 (還在台北)