Tuesday, July 26, 2005

My Crazy Buddy, Mathi

I've known Mathiazagan Gurusamy since I was 17.... I recall this big tall Indian guy who'd always walk into Calculus class at least 10 mins late in his brown George Micheal leather jacket. And without fail, Mr Kittle would stop in the midst of his sentence until Mr Gurusamy got his seat at the back of the classrooom. Mr Cool, I think he thought he was. Okay, I guess he was pretty cool... and he's never lost it ever since.

We became really good friends when I eventually found my way to Indiana State University and somehow, we hit it off and became buddies forever! It's been like that ever since. We keep in contact... I email and he calls. Works for me.

Today, he called me from China - where he's working now. He was in Poland before that and Hungary before that where Bruce and I got the chance to visit him. He's having the time of his life, got a great job, found a very nice apt in Xiamen and to top it off, he's getting married next Spring (with Helena) and life is just soooo good. We reminized about our high school days, our college days, the countless stupid things we did while in school and back home partying with each other; me picking up men and him women while we sat next to each other at the bar... my goodness, how did we end up being where we are today just cruising past the last 20 years of our lives being not-so-smart?! I guess we got REAL lucky... I'm proud of who is he today and he's thankful I didn't marry a loser husband lol. What more can friends ask for!?

We're meeting up soon enough... before the wedding... probably in Bangkok, Japan... or when I get my butt up to China again - hopefully I can keep to my promise and not be there without the husband. I've talked about being Chinese and being mistreated by the mainlanders and not wanting to return without a Caucasian by my side. But I'd be with Helena (Mathi's fiance from Spain and she's white) and she'd be equipped with a car and a driver (Mathi promised over the phone today lol) and I'd be equipped with the language so that might work in favor for us...

Can't wait to be at the wedding!