Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Queen Thanks Malaysian Ah Pek

I recently came across an interesting blog and now subscribe to this sometimes very funny money-making personal blog that is also filled with insights to technology and his own interesting writings. Ah pek dot com is not really owned by an ah peh, oh, unless your name is ah pek (shit! lol) considering he is of the same age as my own father :) ...and "60 year old men are not ah pehs, ah pek!" lol. I know, you're probably naming your blog ahead of time since you're going to be blogging for a long time :) ...so no need to change ah chek dot come to ah pek later on right lol. But my dad would have a coronary if anyone called him that lol. Nonetheless, thank you for the shout out! Ah pek's blog has a free saturday link giveaway for his week's favorite link as well as blog whores like me lol... so when I read about this a couple of weeks ago, I, of course pleaded to be on this week's link on his blog. ...and link he did! :)

A couple of answers to your intro of my blog... why do I called myself 'queen of mountain tortoise' and where is ulu-land, Tennessee... first of all, Tennessee is in the south... (yes, usa)... and most of the Asians (and those who read my blog) probably will never have the inkling of visiting this state. Nothing wrong with that. I live here and I don't want to be here sometimes lol. Usually, first thoughts when thinking of this place, people think "eeeeeee, danm kampong" or "soooo ulu"... "what's there to see other than mountains and Elvis' house?' Seen the movie 'Deliverance'? :D I rest my case. Thus, the birth of... ulu-land - especially compared to the well known big US cities. Which explains why we (the king and I) call site Mountain Tortoise dot com... you're absolutely right in translating the 'mountain tortoise' part; directly translated, sua gu in hokkien or in Mandarin, shan-gui 山龟. As you know, that's what we call people back home (Singapore) who are 'unsophisticated' or 'hicks' - for lack of a better term... people lost in their own cubicle world decades behind and never improving... well, that's ulu land here for you! I always feel like I'm still living in the 80s here (I see their cellphones - one tiny example - I get embarassed for them man!) when I return to the fast-paced life in Asia... live in ulu land sure become sua gu right!? LOL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Tortoise Queen!

Put a rose for me at Elvis place. I still sing his songs in the Karaoke!