Wednesday, March 30, 2005

...just weird to me...

My friend, Kim, is moving to West Virginia (yes, willingly). She is moving in July and has recently recruited a local realtor. He has since adviced that she got rid of furniture from her house (which consists of two an ottoman and the coffee table, both from the living room, a love seat from her bedroom), adding more art on the wall and making her bathrooms (which are no more in use since both her daughters are away in college) more attractive. Since I heard this, Kim has gone to the mall and spent at least $300!

While I understand that painting and general cleanliness and neatness is expected when you show your house, I certainly do not understand this make-your-house-more-beautiful-
then-when-you-lived-in-it idea... I mean, c'mon now... when I go look at houses, the last thing I'm looking at is how they decorate the house and certainly the last thing would be if their towels and shower curtains match the wall paper. I just can't fathom spending money for that and everyone who knows me knows that I would give any excuse to buy buy buy!

Kim is going to get the carpet cleaned also. While all the furniture is still around. Now her carpet looks nice and cleaned. Certainly no stains or anything the naked eye could catch. I explained that maybe she could volunteer to clean it for the buyer when she's moved out; when absolutely no furniture would be in the way of the cleaners. Her reasoning was that it HAD to be cleaned to get the buyer interested in the house.

Maybe I'm being a little careless about this getting-your-house-ready-for-viewing deal but if any realtor told me that I had to do what Kim has to, I'd fire him lol. If the people don't like how the house is decorated, then when they buy it, then can jolly well decorate it any bloody way they want!