Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Starting My Birthday Week In L.A

Tomorrow, I turn 38... hmmm... how do I feel? I don't... it's just another birthday I suppose. I think I'm actually quite happy being 38. I mean, I certainly wouldn't want to be 28. I was certainly a happy 28, but it was still during the uncertain dating years after I'd met the king... I was still in school (lol), tired of partying, didn't really know where my future was heading, if I would marry the man of my life... so I'd say I'm happier, more comfortable being 38. Hopefully, if everyone in their 50s have been truthful, I'm supposed to be even happier, even more confident when I'm in my 40s. That would be something to look forward to.

--------------- MANY HOURS LATER ----------------

It's 50 mins into my 38th birthday and I've already received a ton of birthday wishes. Even my father has called - that was so sweet of him. Of course, he called yesterday and I told him I was in L.A and today he asked me if I was having fun in L.A and I said, 'oh, I'm in Memphis' lol. He can't keep up with us lol - I told him not to worry since I can't keep up with us either lol. We had a very nice conversation... mom's out of town so all she has in her mind are slot machines... I'll speak to her in a few days - besides, why shouldn't she celebrate!? Her first born has just turned 38! :)

The week's started with a big bang... lol! The two full days in Los Angeles was a blast! It was good to see the king's friend, Matti, again, as well as meeting Dave. It was nice to be able to take Winnie (my childhood friend - well kind of childhood... I was 15, she was 9 LOL) on our little adventure on the taping of the Monday night comedy "The Big Bang Theory" on CBS at Warner Brothers Studio. Not only were we put to 'work' once we met Dave, the executive cum writer at the show, as Mandarin interpreters and translators for the writers, Winnie actually got a gig from the producer (earlier today) to do it for at least a week coaching Sheldon (Jim Parsons) to do some Chinese pronunciation! How cool is that?!?! I'm glad we were able to inject some fun into Winnie's life after this experience. Considering she wasn't exactly a big fan before the taping, I think it's exciting just having the prospects of having to deal with new folks - she moved to L.A after being a New Yorker where all her friends are to help out in her mom's business. We laughed about how merely a day before when we were hanging out, she insisted she wouldn't date men from 'the industry'. Now, men can reject her 'coz she's been 'in the industry' LOL!

It was fun to meet both Sheldon (Parsons) and Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and (don't you laugh!) shake their hands and take pictures with them. I mean, ok they're simply ordinary young guys who happen to be actors, but hey, we've been following this sitcom since day one! So it was cool to see them 'live' in action for a change! Penny (Kaley Cuoco) is soooo much slimmer then she looks on tv - wow, the myth about how tv puts ten pounds on you is a fact!! She is also prettier in rea life :) ...and both Wolowitz (Simon Helburg) and Koothrapalli (Kunal Nayyar) both seem really playful off the set - not with me mind you lol but you know, you can tell they're big jokers and fun guys... I also saw a very attractive Indian lady hugging on to Koothrapalli back stage after taping :) I can't wait to hear real stories from Winnie about the guys soon. I know she only has to work with Jim but still... she'll have the inside scoop lol!

Watching the taping I learnt one important lesson - it ain't easy being an actor! It's not just the lines... and it's not just worrying about messing up your lines... it's more having to keep cool when someone else messes up their line... and when the director keeps making you play the same part over and over again. I can't imagine me being in this profession (or any profession for that matter lol). I'll end up calling someone dumbass before the first take is over LOL!.

New experiences on this trip in L.A - had a chilli dog at the 'infamous' Pink's (where there is constantly a line outside, no idea why...), shopped at the Bape store and actually found a bunch of stuff that both of us liked a lot (Bape & Spongebob stuff), went to little Bangkok and had awesome Thai food at Ruen Pair in Thailand Plaza and got my ass burning up - yes, literally(!), stayed at the Custom Hotel by the airport which was pretty swanky (especially for a hotel near LAX) with a hopping bar (even on a Monday and Tuesday evenings); but it has one of the more creepy elevators I've ever been in (the bloody thing whispers weird things to you when you're in it and really, it made me jump quite a few times - I was not amused!! The hallway was always dark and smelled like death... ok maybe not death... but it didn't smell pleasant. Nice big comfy king bed though :) ...oh, and for the first time, tried frozen yogurt from Pink Berry - it's good - as good as Red Mango! ...I think that's quite a lot of firsts two less then 48 hours..

We're in Memphis now. It's pouring outside. Happy birthday to me :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

erm..HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :)

Karen said...

erm... thank you :D

Anjuli said...

sure wish I coulda been there!! sounds like so much fun. Loved the pic of Bruce and you on the set.