Saturday, May 03, 2008

Memories

It's been awhile since I've encountered the dormitory setting. Not since 1992 after graduation from Bay Path College in Massachusetts. It was a fun time living amongst American girls, learning their habits (good and bad), dreams, relationships, superstitions, culture... Most of the girls who went to BPC were from neighboring states... Vermont, Connecticut, New York, Rhode Island, and of course, Massachusetts. There weren't that many International students when I was there, I was the only one of two or three from South East Asia... a few more from Japan and a few exchange students from Europe. But it was a good time of my life... curfews during my first year, I remember how excited I was when I was a sophomore and could come and go as I wanted lol. *Of course, if you're out past 2am, the gates were locked so you had to find yourself somewhere to sleep till 6am the next morning... fair enough... though the amount of money our parents spent on us there, I think they could have at least paid for another security guard to let us in lol!

So yesterday, I volunteered and went to help a friend's daughter move out of her dorm room. The moment I drove onto the Northwest University campus, memories came rushing back. It's also a small college like Bay Path and not overly crowded. Of course, by this time, most students have left (moved out) so that's an unfair judgement. But the last uni I went to was University of Arizona where everyday was a crowded day; even in the scorching summer days, it was like Shibuya Crossing in the middle of the desert lol! ...upon walking into the dorm, the smell of hair products, soap, caucasian girls walking around barefooted (I don't know why they like doing that...), familiar friends saying goodbye, the on-going sounds of the hoover and/or hair-dryer, posters on the walls, communal bathrooms... WOW! I felt like a 20 year old all over again!

It was nice, the reminder... but I sure am glad to be out of college (sooo glad!) and married (to a wonderful man who only SOMETIMES drives me insane - but not as insane as when my floor-mates thought sharing clothing was a right - I can share many things I own... but maybe 'coz I didn't grow up with sisters, I do not believe in clothing /bag / shoe swapping thank you very much. I guess it was all part of being in a women's college dormitory...

Memories... good memories... I have no problem leaving them behind however :D

1 comment:

Anjuli said...

loved this entry!!!!! Oh yes--- memories are great- but like you said-- no problem leaving them behind.

Thanks again for the help with the move.