Wednesday, July 11, 2007

My Love-Hate Relationship With Summer...And Memphis

It's summer again and I have my husband all to myself. Of course, now that he's quit that job of his, I have him all to myself anyway. I kind of wish it wasn't summer after all... with this darn heat, it's hard to enjoy anything around here. It's too hot to sit out in our deck even with two fans running max outside; it's too hot to go anywhere - though the airport is a nice refuge to head out to somewhere else - and it's too hot at home no matter how low the temperature of the air-conditioning is. No, of course it has nothing to with the the a/c or the fans inside or out... it's the place and sun! I don't like the sun, the sight of it, the thought of it. Arrgh! Ditto for the city. Actually, it's not quite the city. It's the people here who make this place a dump. But that's just MY opinion - remember? That's what blogs are for, for the few idiots out there who insist on taking my word as bible!

Growing up in a city-state-island-country where it's hot and humid all year round, cloudy days made me fill with joy! Though I lived in the country till I was barely 17, I always thought cloudy days to be romantic, sweet smelling and just plain gorgeous! Rain drops on the aluminum roof next to my bedroom that covered the downstairs outdoor kitchen kept me sleeping in peace many afternoons during school holidays. (no, our parents didn't have to send us off to summer camps 'coz they liked having us around lol) Who can beat an afternoon of clouds followed by a crazy five hour thunderstorm to make it nice and cool?!

So when we moved to Memphis in mid August six years ago, I was filled with anything but joy lol! Yes, I was moving in with my husband, then boyfriend... but Memphis?! That, my friends is looooove! Now that we're planning on moving away (hip hip hooray! ...or in local lingo, hallelujah!), I suppose it's not too hard to stomach another summer here. Yes, some people are screaming, 'good riddance!' but guess what? We get to leave while they're stuck here. Who's laughing now?! Muahahaha!

We don't know where we're going yet. San Francisco? Seattle? Tokyo? Singapore? Hawaii? Yes, anywhere outside the south or anywhere not ulu! But who knows... we have nothing but choices. Again, don't get me wrong, I don't hate Memphis... it's just the people here who think the world revolves around their asses and their... ah-hem... non-existent world view. Oh well... life goes on for people like us and people who live here and can't wait to get away from these bloody bird brains :) We're off to greener pastures where people have at least traveled across their own country, know that Singaporeans don't speak Japanese, and yes, my first language is English.

Okay, that was the hate part of it all. Now, the love part for summer and Memphis... hmmm... ummm... the sun is nice (sometimes) during bitterly cold winter days... Memphis has many churches - ok, that's not it... thank goodness for Fedex and International Paper or there would be no Memphis... ok that's not it for me either... we leave this place with a few friends who will remain good friends for a long long time - there you go! ...and yes, that's it lol! ...oh ok, my big cheap house (apparently culture doesn't come cheap lol) and I'll give you good bbq :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I lived in Memphis for two years, and it was about two years too long.

Most people there seem to be stuck in the past and don't take well to outsiders (particularly if you didn't grow up in the south).