Monday, May 15, 2006

Do You Let Your Husband Rule Your Life?

While I can safely say, "I don't!" 'coz not only have I got a nice and understanding husband who won't do so, hello, it's the 21st century and that's not what we have husbands for!

Well, I recently met someone who does. She might be the first female I've met who not only lets her husband rule her life, she thinks it's fine and normal to just absorb everything her husband says on face value and then tell people what she thinks. For example, she is petrified of a certain race. Why!? "My husband says so". IDIOT! ...I'd like to know why her family paid thousands of dollars to educate her right through university and still think like a neantherthal? Dumbass! I just don't understand it. I always thought it was a generation thing (not that the women in my mom's generation even let their husbands do so but it's not uncommon and certainly almost normal for the women in my grandmother's generation - my gramma being one of them). But this person is 30, somewhat newly married (five years), not unattractive (but not a hot mama nor can she charm anyone's socks off), educated (gives NUS a bad name) and yes, since she's from Singapore, she's bilingual in English and Mandarin. So what is her problem? It's a long list... narrow minded, stupid, air-headed, dependent, lack of opinion... I can go on for days!

It's a long story and just way too many instances to call on her stupidity. But one of them being: not doing laundry on her own. Now this person comes to Memphis to visit her husband (also another idiot from Singapore) who works here at Fedex. He's been with Fedex with five years and that's how long they have been married. Yet, she lives permanently in Singapore because she doesn't like it here in Memphis. Don't ask me, I'm just reporting the facts. She hates Memphis 'coz, her-words-not-mine, 'SO BORING!'. Ok, so Memphis isn't New York City or San Francisco. But I honestly think it's all an excuse. Shit, if all I did was sit in a one bedroom apartment all day and night waiting for the husband to get home to have some form of conversation, I'd be bored and hate Memphis too! ...so she's back after a one a half year break from Memphis (yes, they live apart constantly and I guess it seems normal) 'coz he suddenly needs her support. Don't ask me how two idiots are gonna' support one another but that's the reason she cited for being back in Memphis for these few months. Apparently he's been racially discriminated at work and needs her here. Like I said, he's no Einstein. She arrived a couple of months ago in March. She doesn't drive nor have a driver's license. She doesn't do laundry 'coz her husband wouldn't let her. Yes, LET! Why wouldn't he let her? His reason - Mexicans. Need I still try and convince you what an idiot he is? There are a lot of things her husband wouldn't LET her do. For example, take a nice 10 min walk to the grocery store from the apartment. Before I came along, she knew nothing outside the confines of sorry ass Walmart. The cheap bastard took her nowhere but Walmart to buy the necessities. He has, from day one, cautioned her against the Mexicans. Why the Mexicans, I have no idea. But yes, she is petrified of them, that's for sure. So I was a little confused as to why she doesn't do laundry while her husband's at work instead of waiting till the weekend and having her husband do it on a Saturday when they have to fight for machines (her words not mine) and waste four hours of the weekend instead of taking it slow on Saturday mornings. Why was I confused!? Well, first off, she doesn't work and does absolutely nothing but watches tv and plays on the computer. Wouldn't she have a ton of time to do at least the laundry(?) ...or wash her freakin' hair (that's a whole other story for another time lol). Why was I confused?! Well, not only was I confused I almost pulled my hair out when I realized the laundry room is directly downstairs from her two-storey, second floor apartment. Uhhh... so why doesn't she do it?! "OH(!) Clarence said cannot. He says I don't know how to operate the machines and there are Mexicans in this compound". Just recapitulating the conversations makes my blood boil.

I cannot continue typing 'coz if Ido so, my head will burst into flames.

24 hours later...

So there are a gazillion of these stories ever since I met Cindy. There is the one where her husband wouldn't let her hug men. Like when he introduces his American friends to her and they give her a friendly hug. He gets upset. The husband was tempted to give her a big ass hug when he first met her hahaha! But over and over again, I give her the benefit of the doubt or just overlook it by telling myself, not everyone's as lucky as I am... not everyone is normal and has common sense (which obviously isn't that common) nor knows how to speak up for herself.

This past weekend, I was in NYC. Coincidentally, stupid Clarence had to go to NYC for work and Cindy was to tag along since she'd never been to New York before and she's also afraid to stay in the apartment by herself. Idiot! She was ecstatic when she heard I would be in the city. I could take her around (or more so my friend, Gen, who lives there could take the both of us around) and she wouldn't have to sit in the room to wait for Clarence to return from work. Again, her words, not mine. We made arrangements to meet. I called her friday morning (a day after I'd arrived) and asked if she wanted to eat meepok tah (it's a kind of noodle we eat back home). She didn't sound too thrilled but asked where the place was. I'm like "would you know where it is if I told you?". I was annoyed but remained calm. She asked, "take MRT there ah?". Ok, MRT is the abbreviated name for our subway system in Singapore; Mass Rapid Transit. Don't ask me why I was sooooooo peeved (the husband had to calm me down that same night on the phone when I was bitching to him about the entire scenario... though telling me that I'd over-reacted from that statement didn't help AT ALL). Anyway, when I heard her say MRT, I corrected her and changed topic. I mean, WTF are you doing in NYC calling the subway MRT!?! Like Gen said, we'd love to see the eyes of the consierge if she'd asked 'how do I get to the MRT station from here?!' Idiot! Anywayz, her hotel was no more then a short walk to Grand Central Station like mine, nor was it far to cab-it over to me. Hey, I was doing her the favor. She comes to me! I asked her to meet us at the Grand Central Station. She started hesitating. "Uhh... hmmm... ummm...". Gen quickly decided that it was probably better for her to hop onto a cab to our hotel. That way, she wouldn't be lost or get pregnant on her way there by a Mexican lol. She hesitated even more. It suddenly dawned on me and asked if it was 'coz Clarence wouldn't let her out of the room on her own. Her answer, more ummms and ahhhs and uhhhs. Then she decides a "it's not that convenient". WHAT?!?! Convenient for what!? Phuck it. I said "ok, then I'd talk to you later." That was the final straw. What is wrong with this person!?! If you think all she did in NYC was sit in the hotel room and waited for her husband to come back from his meetings to take her out, you're absolutely right! OMG... can you believe it!? I'm still steamed about this entire deal. I cannot believe how a woman at her age can be SO stupid and have no bloody brain of her own. Even if it's the husband's controlling manner, surely she knows it's not normal and it's about damn time the bloody idiot gets told off. What a dumbass!! I guess it's good they're together. They deserve one another. I know it's not a Chinese / Singaporean thing 'coz my brother isn't like that. My dad... no, my mom's got more of a brain then to just be lead around by a leash.

Can't believe I managed to finish this piece (tho' I have a dozen more stories about her to tell) without literally combusting or have a brain aneurysm. Glad it's over and done with. I'm getting my DVD's back from her and she's history. She can jolly well go back to shopping at Walmart with her cheapass husband 'coz guess who's no more driving her around lol.