Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Australians in Australia... YUK!

The Aussies I have encountered in my recent and past numerous trips to Oz just hasn't been very postive. From their airline and their customer service to the customs and immigration staff, their local cab drivers (not taking in consideration the immigrant cab drivers who are quiet and scary everywhere) are rude driving around cabs that should have been done away with eons ago... the wait staff at even good restaurants (and I'm not even talking about the generally rude Asians at good Chinese restaurants!) are at best not at all impressive and personality and smiling doesn't seem to be big with them either. Australians are just generally not very nice people in their own country. Yes, they're laid back quote unquote, lazy. The pace in the country is slow, read S-L-O-W and if you like many Asians think the US is backward in many aspects (and we are!), we have already beat one continent.

With the major influx of Asian tourist and settlers, we still get treated like shit over there. I just don't understand why people continue to visit and stay. Maybe 'coz there are too many of those Mainlanders who give us foriegn Chinese a bad name lol. Gotta' find an excuse for ourselves... :D

I never look forward to going to Melbourne despite the love of being in any city for good shopping. I go only 'coz my family insists on vacationing there. They know my love for both Singapore and Australia can only extend 'that' far. After all, I can get here anything I want from Oz - even nougat lol. Okay, maybe not the awesomely delicious apple streudal pie from Perth - but it's been years since I had those so I guess I can live without them after all.

My visit to Melbourne this time is about the only time I've had fun. But it wasn't the city that made it any more exciting then the last 20 visits. It was only 'coz of EKT that Melbourne's been tolerable. Spending a good quality seven days with mom was also nice after a year's break. It's nice to be appreciated and not being called fat names. She even said my eye brows looks nice lol! Maybe it's the crappy city Melbourne air already infested with big ass flies in mid November.

Maybe dad will come to his sense and get rid of the apt there... get one say in, Hawaii or SF or NYC :) Hey a girl can dream can't she :)

1 comment:

Eileen N. said...

Hey karen, I have to agree with you, when it comes to the attitudes that Australians display towards Asian foreigners like us. I'm not in any prejudice towards Mainlanders;however, it seems to be the FACT that their behavior and actions are distorting the reputations of we, Asians. This also happens in Buffalo, NY, which I am staying and people aren't very receptive of Asians over here. And most of the time, I am mistaken as someone from China. :( LOl. I'm still trying hard to find friends now. *Sighs*