Sunday, January 29, 2006

Gong Xi Fa Cai

It's the year of the dog. It's my year!! I'm going to turn 36 soon. Somehow, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth... or is it from the horrible dinner I had last night?

Gong Xi Fa Cai to me. Maybe for the first time in too-many-years-to-count since I left home at 16 1/2, I am homesick during Chinese New Year? I can just imagine what the whole family is doing now... with all my aunts and uncles, my cousins and their kids. Maybe it's just the fact that the family I married into is not only small but not very family-like. I don't know.

Family gatherings to me while growing up were always filled with laughter and food. Even if it was just another Saturday and my mom would spend the rest of the day at my aunt's playing mahjong. Still, I would have at least a few cousins around with two of three toddlers running around seeking attention. Today, these toddlers are in their 20s and they have different toddlers running around them. There is always some form of activity... some high drama scandal... something, anything. People talk, people laugh... all within a tiny little flat with the smashing of mahjong tiles every few seconds. Orderly chaos. With my in-laws, there is just no human relationship; never mind friendship. As you already know, the mil is insane, the sil is wierd and insane and the bil... well... he's just him. Nothing ever seems to bother him. Maybe that's why it works in their relationship and he hasn't killed the sil yet. So when you get the husband, me and the three of them chararters and the two rowdy and not-so-smart kids together (who at 3 and 5, I STILL can't understand what the phuck they say when they speak) creates just a little annoying baby havoc. Conversations at the table at every gathering with his family goes like this.

Husband to BIL:
Husband: How are you? How is the restaurant?
BIL: Good. Very good. It's always PACKED!
Husband: Oh, great to hear that... while thinking in his head: LIE!!!

Husband to MIL:
Husband: How are you mom? It's good to see you!
MIL: Oh I'm doing great (LIE!!) Thank you for coming out tonight in this weather!
Husband: No response... thinking... you really think we want to be here? You're insane!!

Husband to SIL
Husband: Says nothing... thinking: you are insane!
Sil: Says lots but who's listening?!?
I suppose it's best they don't talk hahahaha! Too many taboo topics.

The above conversations are NOT made up and NOT exaggerated. Honestly! They are real conversations that go on at EVERY get-together we have... about three times a year. Hey, no family is perfect :D We did however do the good deed for the year 2006. We invited the sil and bil to our Chinese New Year next weekend. Lots of booze, lots of food. Eat that weight-watchers lol!!

Gong Xi Fa Cai to me. What should I do today? Haven't got anyone to visit. No one's gonna' be visiting us. Hmmm... I've got to do something to lift my spirits. None of this bitter taste, bitter feeling should be sitting in me. Not especially on the first day of MY year... something sweet. Yes, I should have something sweet. That's supposed to help. A call back home. That should do the trick hee hee.

No comments: