Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Are Most Foreign Women Cheap?

Ok you don't have to diss me and send me mean email. I'm a foreigner so I have every right to right to talk about 'us'.

I'm hosting a Christmas Party for the formerly-abroad group. This group is made up of Americans who have formerly lived abroad (ok I guess American women are also referred to in this article), foreigners like me who have married Americans and now live here, as well as foreign women (mostly Europeans) who are here with their husbands who are working temporarily in Memphis. Now this group of women are hardly impoverished by any standards. Most of them don't work... nor need to have a job... and most of them have older teenage kids - ok I hang with a bunch of cheap old bitches. The party is in less then a week and I find these women trying hard as they can to stinge. Whether it's their time on making a dish for the potluck luncheon or buying something as cheaply as possible from the store. I just don't understand them. While I don't expect everyone to spend 5 hours in the kitchen to make a fancy dish (this is after all, America), I also don't expect them to bring 'everyday-crap' to be served in my kitchen. It's a Christmas party for crying out loud!

Let me say that I have no objections as far as people buying something from the store for the convenience. But for goodness sakes, know what you're buying. Quality vs quantity. I, myself, am getting a whole roast duck from the local Chinese restaurant. It's the best in town (but that's only because I now can't be arsed to cook for a bunch of women who don't seem to appreciate the fact that I am going through SOME trouble to host their damn party). The husband has been so sweet and thoughtul to voluntarily get me an outdoor heater in case the party leads us out there for some reason (you never know with a bunch of women all liquored up; yeah, we've seen how those Austrians act when they're on the train to Budapest). So far, I have gotten many enthusiastic emails announcing who's attending and telling me of the salad dishes they're bringing. Oh come on!! What is it with these white women and their freakin' disgusting salads?!?!?! A couple of casseroles (which beats everything else), three salads and two dessert platters later (and yes, I can assure you these darn dessert platters will not be of my gourmand expectation; Costco if we're lucky), I'm stressed out. Why can't people just put in some effort?!? Did the chairperson not say in her 'invitation, 'bring your FAVOURITE dish'?! Arrgh, it just annoys the hell out of me! Someone emailed today and advised that they're bringing egg salad. Ok, it's a fellow Asian. She's Korean. I'm about to scream and pull out all my hair here... "EGG SALAD?!?!?! OHMYPHUCKINGGAWD!!! I emailed back suggesting she brought something party'ish and maybe even Korean if she cooks. I'm done. She's bringing phucking kimchee. Is she dense?!?! I didin't email back. ...she can jolly well sit by the corner with the stinky kimchee all by her damn self!

Ok, so maybe not all white girls will bring salad and we, foriegners are not just this bunch of losers. But I miss good potlucks. The good cooks and one pushy-always -filled-with-great-suggestions-what-people-should-cook-always-hungry-person I know have all moved away :( I'm just used to having a potluck where all 20 women bring delicious food enough for 90 men - never mind these skinny little bitches who all nibble on their food like rabbits and swear they have to go on a diet. Bloody annoying.

This will be the last time I'm going to volunteer for this group of cheap sorry asses.

No comments: