Friday, March 24, 2006

Permissive(?!?) RACISM?

I was telling the husband over sushi dinner last night that the radio station/show I listen to a lot (especially in the mornings), V101.1 - The Tom Joyner Morning Show - has been rather careless in their comments regarding 'the-other-race'. As a non-white, non-American, their conversations not only annoyed me, it disgusts even me. I wonder what do the (probably very small percentage of) white people feel if/when they listen to that.

This is along the line of what I heard them say:
DJ1: ...so this zookeeper stuck his hand into the tiger's cage at night while drunk
DJ2: It's a white guy right?! It's a white guy right?! (eagerly)
DJ1 keeps on reading the artile
DJ2: It's gotta' be a white guy. Only a white guy would do something like that!

Sure, we've all said stuff like that within our circle of friends about other groups of people. About white people, black people, Asians, you name it. But they are a radio station (who by the way speaks broken English a lot) and I feel, have a responsibility to the people listening in. Turn the tables around and imagine what might happen. Oooh... ugly!

Then yesterday, I turned them on and they were commenting on the new reality tv show, 'Black. White.'. They were talking about how the white woman when made-up as a black woman, didn't look like a 'sista' 'coz she had no 'JUICE'. Whatever that means, it didn't sound good to me. ...and of course, the sista' on the show had way too much 'juice' to look White. COME ON!!! The things they say on this radio station makes me cringe. I'm positive that if any white people say that about the black women, there will be a bloody riot.

So the husband brings up slavery and what their people went through. Oh boo hoo... there is their damn baggage again. Bah! The Japanese and Chinese have been slaves too... what about the internment and railroad experiances? Hey, I watch PBS once in awhile lol. Have you EVER heard an Asian-American ever bring that up!? Ever!? I may be less sympathetic but I feel that the 'bitter' Black people of America just can't have it every way they want! On one hand, sensitive to every damn thing a White person says (practically read into every single word spoken, chew up every sentence that's put out there) then say worst crap about the white people in reverse. Why are they still so bloody angry?!?

Personally, this is history. It's ridiculous baggage for anyone that's still alive. It isn't any of our problem today. You get no sympathy from me!

No comments: