Tuesday, June 08, 2004

It's The King's Birthday!!!

I have to call my mother-in-law (mil) today to thank her for raising a man to be who is he today... my father always told us on our birthdays that mothers are the ones who should be celebrated; not us :) Of course, he never did celebrate his own mother so we continued the 'old tradition' of having the happy-birthday-to-me attitude.

Now that I'm married to this awesomely good man, I can see dad's point of view... I see the husband at times in my mil no matter how much he refuses to admit it. It's almost endearing sometimes how he claims he cannot be any more different. The truth is, this boy is his mother's son through and through. I love him for that. She's a very nice lady and I know she loves me because I make her son happy. How many daughters-in-law can honestly admit that or even know that. She's super nice to me, buys me little presents constantly (albeit not really my style, it's really the thought that counts) and says things that sometimes drives her son insane and makes me laugh. She's sweet, stubbornly independent and smart. She's in her 70s and still has a full time job. That's a lot more than what I can say for myself :s

Today is my husband's birthday! This must be the 7th birthday of his that we're spending together... where have the years gone? I know... the first two and a half years we were dating, the next one and a half I was chasing after him (hahahaha, yes, truly and hard!) and then eventually, he gave in and married me :D Life is good: for me and him, I know.

I haven't gotten him a birthday present. He seems to have it all. He has me, doesn't he :D I offered to get him a couple of things but he seemed bored with the ideas. A new cellphone (the one he has look like it's been through a whole lot; talk about a used and half damaged phone), a new set of golf clubs (since the fools in his Dallas apt stole it from his parking space when he had to pick me up from the airport when I was visiting from Arizona four years ago)... so here I am... no present for my favourite man on his day. :( Yeah I feel bad but I've tried. I did get a card though :)

I wished him a happy birthday at 1am when I woke up and heard him typing feverishly on this laptop. He's deeeeeeep in sleep now. It's only 4:58am. I'd go make some fresh fried rice for him. That should start his day well enough :)