Friday, July 25, 2008

Excuse Me Are You Filipino?

I've been in Seattle now for more than seven months. Seven months have gone by peacefully with nobody asking much else other than for directions, my order or whatever service I'm at a particular place for. No questions about my 'ethnicity' at all...

Funny thing 'coz I was just thinking of my origins this morning... with Singapore's National Day coming up next month and me planning - more like thinking of planning - an 'event' - for the Singaporeans around here to get-together. ANYWAYZ, before I go off on a tangent... I went to the spa this morning to get a facial and massage and the girl who gave me the facial asked at the end of her service, 'are you filipino?', I smiled - since it was only the first time in so many months, asking me that oh-so-familiar question. I felt I HAD to be kind and even took out the time to explain that I'm not from the Phillipines but many people - usually Filipinos themselves - make the same mistake. She told me she's half-caste; which I would have had no idea as she's very Caucasian. Yes, very pink :) So I'm chuckling my way out of Nordstrom across the street to Pacific Place to my hair salon to meet my new hair lady, Cher - I kid you not - Cher :) Cher is openly lesbian and is an awesome hairstylist! ...and one of the first ten questions she asks; 'are you Filipino?!? - AFTER she tells me I have a beautiful face (but not body of course LOL). Again, this time, a little more abrupt 'nope!' but still with a sweet smile. But she was nice and was keen on finding out about Singaporeans, Singapore (no it's NOT in China) and bombarded me with her curiousity, which was a breath of fresh air coming from the people I was surrounded by 'previously' :D

No, of course there is nothing wrong being Filipino but you know, it gets old very quickly when you go through life having people come up to you all the time, no matter where you go in this world, ask you the same question. I will admit to the time it came into use when the valet in Vienna assumed I was Filipino... but other than that, guys at airports, guys at bus-stops... women at grocery stores, restaurants... nah, I don't care to answer that question again and again, day after day. It's become quite the joke for the husband when he sees Filipinos walk across a room towards me because he knows exactly what they're about to ask me. What's worst, when I tell people I'm Chinese, they doubt me and want me to prove it LOL! WTF?!?!

No comments: